Wednesday, September 28, 2011

DESIGN 4 MEDIA ; FINAL

I originally wanted to incorporate a fourth panel which would have been a photo of her capture, a sailor. The poem would also be assumed to have been written by him, but because I wasn't able to add that element to this series, I think even without it the three images still hold on their own. I think the images allow the piece to have a little more mystery and when looking upon it, it could be assumed that the viewer is the capture or that perhaps these images and chicken scratch thoughts are just close knit treasures hidden in the capture's journal ; just blown up, making it more real, and making the viewer perhaps a little uneasy. That what they are seeing, they weren't meant to see. That it was a secret. 

I suppose I could also say, I'm displaying it in such a way that may be close to what a freak show at a circus would be like, uplifting the curtain to show the viewer something that they are curious about and can't believe is real, it's in your face and it's blunt and you can't look away.


The poem it self is quite simple, basically saying how could this creature who appears to be helpless and so beautiful be something that is the opposite; Unknown and very scary. I wanted there to be a magical yet restless quality about this series as well as wanting to develop and create a story. I wanted to make the impossible, possible. dream a little, exaggerate even more with this concept of mermaids.



As I had stated before, I wanted the mermaid to appear as though she is luring the viewer closer which goes along with the history of their seductiveness. Even though the tables have turned and she is the one captured and in an unknown environment she still holds that mysterious and scary quality.


I printed all three images (8.5 x 11) on transparency paper to go along with the whole concept that she is from the sea, the transparency has that see through, watery appearance. Also, to go back on how her capture could see through her tricks in attempt to capture her. I also didn't want to show images of her as a whole, because she isn't. She is "chopped up" and in an environment not of her understanding, she is skewed, along with her tail that seems to be disappearing, or that she is getting weaker.

I ultimately wanted these to be framed and hung on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment