Thursday, September 1, 2011

DESIGN FOR MEDIA ; 00

//INSPIRATION\\

LURE : 
1.
a. Something that tempts or attracts with the promise of pleasure or reward.
b. An attraction or appeal.
2. A decoy used in catching animals, especially an artificial bait used in catching fish.
3. A bunch of feathers attached to a long cord, used in falconry to recall the hawk.
tr.v. lured, lur·ing, lures
1. To attract by wiles or temptation; entice.
2. To recall (a falcon) with a lure.


What first came to mind for this project after viewing Hiroshi Hayakawa's work was to do a photo and collage series around something that is of magical interest. Hiroshi's photo emulsions were unique, dark, and mysterious which really lured the viewer in. I want to do something that will incite that same reaction.

And so, to "lure" I thought of bait to catch fish, the ocean, mermaids... I grew up by the beach and with a lot of my art work I tend to create works related to mermaids // or Sirens who in Greek Mythology were dangerous and seductive.

I want to create images that are the opposite of Hiroshi's work in the sense that they will appear to be lighter, more colorful, and magical but will have the dark undertones that go back to the root and the history of what Sirens did to lost sailors.

Even though sirens are found on the coasts of rocky beaches, I wanted to modernize my idea and turn it around; to put the sirens out of their element and to assume that they were the ones caught, tempted, and lured. My shots would be similar to Mathilda's as they would be in the bathtub but I would collage on top of my photo a fish tail etc.

Mathilda Eberhard's work for inspiration
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathildaeberhard/5392380229/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathildaeberhard/5392376761/in/photostream

As well as this video by Canada. I love the colors used, natural light.
http://vimeo.com/15959610

2 comments:

  1. The palette in the video is just beautiful (the lighting is gorgeous). The "dragonfly" tub is haunting... I can clearly see where you are going with the project.
    I would encourage you to move away from the bathtub since you have already shown us amazing bathtub images... What if sirens exist in many places? Sirens that take on the characteristics of the space they inhabit... e.g., why do people get hit by cars in crosswalks? Are there sirens that encourage the use of iPods and whatever to "sing" them into harms way?
    Even if you stick with the bathtub, write out how your images will be different (... yes you are going to collage the fish tail... but maybe you can imply the tail without showing it... maybe).
    Looking forward to seeing where you take this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! those are also great ideas I haven't even thought of ; I will do some more thinking and see where that will lead me ; been looking at more inspiration too.

    ReplyDelete